Judge Don Willett of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit will serve as chair of Judicature’s editorial board for the 2020–21 editorial term, beginning with the fall 2020 edition of the journal (Volume 104 Number 3). Willett is a former justice of the Texas Supreme Court. He earned his J.D. from Duke Law School in 1992 and a Duke Law Master of Judicial Studies degree (LLM) in 2016 and served as editor in chief of Judicature’s Spring 2017 edition.
Willett succeeds David Ichel, who served as the board’s inaugural chair. In addition to establishing Judicature’s editorial board, Ichel has been a strong advocate for the journal. Last year he helped to engage nearly 45 law firms in providing the funds needed to expand Judicature’s distribution among state court judges. Ichel will continue to serve as a member of the editorial board for the coming term. He is a 1978 Duke Law School graduate.
Nathan Hecht, chief justice of the Texas Supreme Court, and Patricia Timmons-Goodson, former chief justice of the North Carolina Supreme Court (and a 2014 Duke Law Master of Judicial Studies graduate), are stepping down from the board after completing their one-year terms. Robert Brutinel, chief justice of the Arizona Supreme Court, and Judge Bernice Donald of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit (both 2018 graduates of Duke’s Master of Judicial Studies program) will join the board for the 2020–21 term. All other members of the 2019–20 editorial board have generously agreed to serve a second term.
Editorial board members provide suggestions and ideas for journal content and topics, assist in reviewing submissions, and provide general feedback to the editorial staff.
David F. Levi, director of the Bolch Judicial Institute and Judicature’s publisher, thanked incoming and outgoing board members for their service. “We are fortunate to be able to call on the expertise and guidance of such distinguished judges, scholars, and lawyers as we work to ensure that Judicature continues to be a vital forum for exploring the many challenges facing our judiciary and legal system.”
Judicature 2020-21 editorial board
Chair of Editorial Board
- Judge Don R. Willett, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit (Duke LLM’16)
- Chief Justice Robert Brutinel, Arizona Supreme Court (Duke LLM’18)
- Judge J. Michelle Childs, U.S. District Court, District of South Carolina (Duke LLM’16)
- Judge Bernice Donald, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit (Duke LLM’18)
- Justice Christine M. Durham, Utah Supreme Court (retired) (Duke JD’71)
- Brandon L. Garrett, Neil Williams, Jr. Professor of Law, Duke Law School
- Mitu Gulati, Professor of Law, Duke Law School
- David W. Ichel, Arbitrator-Mediator-Special Master, X-Dispute LLC (retired partner, Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP) (Duke JD’78)
- Jack Knight, Frederic Cleaveland Professor of Law and Political Science, Duke Law School
- Margaret H. Lemos, Robert G. Seaks LL.B. ’34 Professor of Law and Senior Associate Dean for Faculty and Research, Duke Law School
- Marin K. Levy, Associate Professor of Law, Duke Law School
- Alan Mansfield, Shareholder, Greenberg Traurig LLP (Duke JD’78)
- Darrell A.H. Miller, Melvin G. Shimm Professor of Law, Duke Law School
- Judge Andrew J. Peck, Senior Counsel, DLA Piper (former U.S. Magistrate Judge, Southern District of New York) (Duke JD’77)
- Judge Robin L. Rosenberg, U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida (Duke JD’89)